Re: [NTLK] Importance of Newton hardware vs. software

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Sep 01 2004 - 13:27:03 PDT

On Wednesday, September 1, 2004, at 10:14 AM, Jim Witte wrote:

>> Um.. getting wireless working took me a couple of *days*, and there
>> was a bunch of resetting involved. Even now that I have it set-up,
>> whenever I change my location I have to reset or it won't dhcp

Funny - the experience was MUCH smoother for me. ALthough occasionally
it won't dhcp on the first try - but after whatever app I was using
with the internet tells me I can't connect I could ALWAYS re-select my
active worksite and try again successfully - no restart necessary. Have
you tried this?

> That's because proper installation software hasn't been written,
> turorials haven't been completely written (or figured out even),
> location management doesn't exist (yet) for the Newton, and maybe some
> wonky things related to the way base stations work - like Airport and
> Appletalk packets (I think this is solved by now).

Umm - 'location management' missing from newtons? What do you THINK
workplaces are supposed to be? The newton has tighter 'location'
support than even mac os 9 did.

J. Tyler Nichols