[NTLK] [OT] New iMac G5

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Fri Sep 03 2004 - 03:51:27 PDT

>Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 02:39:11 -0300
>From: Andy Galluzzi <agalluzzi_at_gmx.net>
>
>I'm not a Mac user, so may be there are things I miss, but why do you
>thing Apple has make a PC with the power button not visible?
>
>Also, all the ports in the backside; if you need to connect your digital
>camera or somenthing, you have to turn on the computer?

The horrible powerbutton would totally spoil the reduced design on the front, and ports on the front even more so, you might dangle messy cables from them.. *iiich* puuuleeeese. ;)
In fact there are USB1 Ports on the Keyboard so you can hook up your camera. Regarding the powerbutton, I just assume Apple assumes you won't "turn the Mac on" much anyway but rather wake it from sleepmode. You can turn it off via the OS.

The powerbutton on the Keyboard is gone, IIRC?

I will wait until I see the new iMac in the flesh before I decide whether I like the design or not. Honestly, I like the idea of *not* seeing all the ports & cables but them being neatly tucked away at the back. It is one of the things I hate about my iBook and why I want to have a stationary main system again - wire wire wire, all over my desk, takes up space and loads of time once I want to actually move my oh-so-portable computer...

Oliver :)

--
"The possibilities are endless. I love that."  - Jonathan Ive