Re: [NTLK] Format of Exported Notes

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sun Sep 05 2004 - 06:44:37 PDT

On Sunday, September 5, 2004, at 08:14 AM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:

> Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 21:22:26 -0700
> From: Rhonda Hyslop <0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net>
>
> * Oliver Brose <oliver.brose_at_t-online.de> [ 2 Sep 2004 15:52]:
>>> From: Rhonda Hyslop <0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net>
>>
>>> Exporting as RTF works very well. I took all my class notes for a
>>> couple
>>> of years on the newton, and they were about as complicated and hard
>>> export as you can get (IMO) - ink text inline
>>
>> Rhonda, what do you use to read those RTF-files?
>> My experiments with RTFs created through NCU had mixed and rather
>> underwhelming results. The only thing that was able to display them
>> (them being the horror notes with all ink, shapes & text) halfway
>> properly was MSWord98 in OS8.6/9 - the irony! AppleWorks and basically
>> everything else would ignore ink & shapes, and so does JournalSync
>> today (great thing otherwise).
>
> I opened them up in ClarisWorks/AppleWorks, as I recall. I don't own
> MSWord and haven't since Word95 for Windows - didn't try it with that
> program, but as I sent a set of notes to a friend I'd imagine they
> opened fine in Word too. Claris on 7.5 and AppleWorks on 9 or whatever
> my husband's laptop ran at the time both worked fine. OpenOffice works
> fine too, I just checked :-)

I haven't been really paying attention to this thread, but has anyone
yet mentioned Xport?

XPort is the nicest thing I found for exporting RTF notes; it doesn't
have (for me) the serial connection issues with PC machines, and when
selecting RTF export you have 2 flavors- a standard RTF, and MSoft RTF
(since MSoft breaks the standards). XPort has binaries for Win and Mac
and is pretty cheap, and does more than in/export of note as well. For
me, this is what did the shapes and sketches perfectly when I tested;
NCU didn't.

Dan is still selling thru kagi;
<http://order.kagi.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?storeID=IC&&> I think he
quit using his dan_at_newts.com address due to spam; I had his new email
archived somewhere, but it didn't leap to the front when I searched
(when someone asked about XPort a couple months ago). But you can
reach him thru kagi. Here's the wki entry for it:
<http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/X-Port> It really is a
nice app.

(landware was selling XPort, which is why the newts.com link points to
a dead landware page, but Dan got it back and sells it now).

I know you have your setup working Rhonda, but there are a lot of new
users on the list so I though I'd mention it.

Brian

--
-
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that