Re: [NTLK] Software for Newton

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 08:19:35 PDT

> At the beginning of the Newton era we had a lot of software which is
> now a days gone. We should, In The Name Of Our Community, contact the
> "old" developers
*snip*

Yes we did have a lot of software that is not available now. But we
also have a lot that has been "rescued from the dump" as well. The
problem about contacting these developers is two fold. First many of
them went out of business and it is hard or near impossible to track
down the original developers. And second even if you can contact them,
many times they don't even have it anymore, or if they do sometimes they
won't release it for some odd reason. Of course they are entitled since
they created it but as to exact reasons we can only speculate.

This is not to say contacting old developers is fruitless, because some
of them have been contacted and they *did* release the software. Action
Names, Time Reporter, Paper Pak, and all of Imbaic's stuff was released.
  Adam Tow released a lot of his work and continues to support the
community. Landware was going to pull all of their stuff from the
market but decided to keep it available. Tibet was also released by the
original developer. There are many other instances where software was
released after finally tracking down the developer.

As for a "official" way I don't know. The only "official" way I can
think of is Victor or other prominent members of this community which
already have a lot on their plate. Perhaps someone trustworthy that has
been here a long time (and has some time on their hands) could be
appointed to try and track down these old developers? Personally I
think if you hear of some software you think would be a good addition to
the community, try to track down the developer and ask them to release
it. Tell them of Newtontalk, WWNC and UNNA to see that we are a
organized community and it would be great if it was released (or at
least made available again for a fee). If you are professional and make
your case well, you might be surprised at the outcome. :)

-Dan