Re: [NTLK] Escale, patches, card works? walk through

From: Alex Santos 100MB Neostrada Mail (izabella.misiewiczsantos_at_neostrada.pl)
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 19:25:42 PDT

> Are you guys trying direct connections or through
> a hub?

Well, I am not going through a hub but something interesting is
happening.

Of course I setup my 3COM card by going EXTRAS / SETUP / Internet
Setup, with Internet Setup open I began by creating a New Generic Setup
and selecting Ethernet as my connection of choice, gave it an
appropriate name, configured to a DHCP Server and chose MegaHertz 589E
as that best described my model # 3CCE589ET card.

I also applied the lantern patch
(http://www.kallisys.com/newton/rustines/) and the 710031 Update
(http://www.kallisys.com/newton/rustines/) to my Newton.

Apparently the order in which packages are loaded to the newton seem to
matter, please read
http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/software/Internet/NIE2/nie_rdme.txt for
an explanation.
I can tell you that if you install ethernet support, it is important
that you install the "NEWTDEV.PKG" before you install the Farallon
driver, this according to the last mentioned link.

HERE IS THIS INTERESTING PART
When I insert the card I get a message on screen identifying the card
as; "Megahertz 589E, Manufacturer 3Com, TP/BNC LAN PC Card." Within
the same message I am asked whther I want to Use the card for
AppleTalk.

I believe this message shows up because of the lantern patch (see above
for link)

I promptly elect the card to be used for AppleTalk.

I launch Escale (OSX), it waits for a connection from the Newton so I
tap dock and ask to connect via AppleTalk and connect to other site, I
am presented with a keyboard layout, from there I choose other, the
light on my ether net card LIGHTS GREEN!!!! It stays on, it searches
for a computer, it find my eMac, I don't do anything, the light
continues on, it remains on for like 5 minutes.

Is the card working I wonder? Is far as I can tell yes, the light is
on. i hope I am not being bold here. It's late I am tired and who
knows, t may just stop working.

Let's see…I give this worksite a name, Alex's Mac and close this window.

The light remains on
I select connect from the dock, all this time Escale (OSX) has been
waiting for a sign from the Newton. hmm, something went wrong, it is
very intermittent. In my dock connect to I have a collection of places
that are all the same place really, alex's mac.

It appears I must leave the window that has "select a mac OS computer"
open, as soon as I close it, the light goes out on the ethernet card's
cable.

too tired I give up for today

Alex