Re: [NTLK] Recommend PCI wifi card that handles appletalk?

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 01:09:48 PDT

On Sep 7, 2004, at 12:17 AM, resellerz_at_650dialup.com wrote:

>>> PS I think this is more about the driver then the hardware.
>>
>> Thanks, I'll look for an alternate driver. Any recommendations on
>> that?
>
> \In short, D-link products are not recommendable for Appletalk
> applications.
>
> That's informative but not very helpful. It's been a while since I've
> used a real Mac and I
> forgot that Apple basically locked themselves into Airport for all
> their wireless networking--
> I can't even find a standard PCI wifi card on eBay that appears to be
> Appletalk compatible.
There is no issue with "appletalk" compatibility and macs with wifi.
Appletalk as we are calling it is really implemented over ethernet or
wifi, so it doesn't require any special hardware at all. Just the
driver that understands it.

So for example, any of the older lucent cards under OS9 can be used and
support appletalk over wifi perfectly.

The basilisk thing is kind of unknown to me, as I have no desire to
make a PC into a mac.
> guess if I want a wireless NCU connection I'm going to have to shell
> out for an iBook.
Don't think you "need" too, but the ibooks are nice. I suspect (hope)
that once you get OSX going and the OSX utilities mature a but (ie
escale and DCL) you won't really care about appletalk or NCU at all.

> Still it does seem to me that there ought to be some software trick
> that could fool a tcp/ip
> wifi board into handling appletalk packets. This is probably not the
> correct forum to ask
> about that though.
Why not? If the mac itself has very good hardware access to the wifi
board, and the wifi board looks like an airport card, and the OS you
run under basilisk is new enough, this actually might just work. I
don't know if any of this is true though...

> I'll just get a Newton-compatible wired Ethernet card and use a
> conventional router. Thanks.
That is the easiest answer for sure. seems strange though that
basilisk would work aok that way, but not for wifi?

Marty