Re: [NTLK] WWNC & Einstein

From: smoerk (smoerk_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 04:07:51 PDT

> Finally, I would like to explain why source code of the emulator
> won't be publicly available on this list (I did explain it during the
> conference). The future of the platform may include negociations with
> Apple Computer and a licensing of the NewtonOS. This will not be
> possible if anyone can run NewtonOS on other hardware for free
> without any control on our side. This is why Nicolas and I have
> decided that Einstein, as an emulator or a program that would run on
> other hardware in order to run NewtonOS on them, will be free but
> with an expiration date so we'll keep the control.

I assumed that this will happen. My intuition says, that Einstein will
not be successful without open sourcing it or there will be someone
who will write an Einstein clone. I will wait until I read (or watched
your presentation) until I give more comments on it.

Question is: Will you try to open source it? Which means, will you try
to convince Apple, that you would like to open source Einstein, if
Apple will agree with it?