Re: [NTLK] WWNC & Einstein

From: Jeff Sheldon (jeff_at_jurai.net)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 12:43:24 PDT

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 01:24:20PM -0500, Jim Witte wrote:
> It's their project, they can do what they see fit with it.

Agreed. I'm not sure how my comments are reading, but since I'm the last
e-mailer being quoted in these messages, I want to be absolutely sure
that people realize I'm in complete agreement with the decisions made
concerning Einstein and that I'm not advocating anything illegal or
inappropriate.

My original follow-up point is that if there's any avenue for open source
on this project, it would most likely be in making the strictly-closed
and possibly licensed emulation part work on -various- hardware
platforms, most likely adhering to a series of porting guidelines. For
instance, every PDA using a compatible series of ARM processor that the
emulation layer would run on would need custom code for taking advantage
of one vendor's sound or display, versus another's, just to convince the
emulation layer that such components exist. Whether this is proposed is
of course out of our hands, but that's where I imagine the original
poster's request for open source would most likely present itself, if at
all.

If Einstein ONLY ran on a Zaurus with no open source elements at all, I'd
be completely happy. In fact, that would basculez mon monde.

-Jeff