Re: [NTLK] Recommend PCI wifi card that handles appletalk?

From: Bill Moser (resellerz_at_650dialup.com)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 15:28:19 PDT

Just some comments:
>You misunderstand; Apple didn't lock themselves into *anything*. They
continued to support the Appletalk protocol just as they always had.
This could easily degenerate into a VHS-vs.-Beta-style argument. Sorry for bringing it up. Suffice to say that most computers regard TCP/IP as the standard for high-speed data transfer (including UNIX). In '97 it might have been different. 'Nuf said.

>Or you could buy an Airport (or Netgear MR314) and a $50 beige G3, or
solve it by many other means that we're happy to help with.

This is a fair statement. I do have a white Airport that the MP2k will happily connect to. It's getting the connection to run either through the wire or wirelessly into the PC that's difficult. But I'm not terribly interested in beating my head against it any further, or messing with older routers. I know not to stretch an emulator beyond what it was designed to do.

>> Still it does seem to me that there ought to be some software
>> trick that could fool a tcp/ip wifi board into handling appletalk
>> packets. This is probably not the correct forum to ask about that
>> though.

>The software trick is called "driver software". Getting any changes to
driver software, or learning about it, is a Difficult Proposition, as
the manufactures seem to generally consider such things top secret
information.

I think my point was lost here. TCP/IP packets can be transmitted over an Appletalk network by wrapping them in an AppleTalk wrapper.. It would seem fairly trivial to reverse the process for Appletalk packets via TCP/IP. I wouldn't even think of hacking a driver without the right API (and legal permission). But there are a lot of mixed PC/Mac LANs out there that have had to cope with (and concoct solutions for) this problem.