Re: [NTLK] Wi-max or UWB (Zigbee?) cards?

From: Jared Bland (jrbm689_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 17:56:55 PDT

> This made me think of a rather off-the-wall question: are there any
> consumer PCMCIA cards for Wi-max or UWB (Ultra-wide-band, which I
> believe is being dubbed Zigbee) yet?

I know the answer to both of those technologies is a big "No!"

WiMAX will not be available in low-power expansion cards until atleast
2007.
Check it out:

http://www.intel.com/netcomms/technologies/wimax/
(click on the "View the demo." button)

I don't know when UWB will be available, but it's for very short range
connections and wouldn't be used by ISPs or wireless companies for
transmitting an internet connection signal to a wireless device (it's
more of a Media Center-centric technology).