Re: [NTLK] An era draws to a close

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Tue Sep 07 2004 - 22:35:48 PDT

On Sep 8, 2004, at 12:28 AM, Dale A. Raby wrote:

> You know, I have been subscribed to various lists over the years.
> NEVER, have I seen something like this offer from Alan Toops to a
> fellow
> Newtonian (Newtonite?).

I've been a member of NTLK since I don't know when (1996 at the very
least, and probably since 1995), and this list has been one of the
mostest friendliest, helpfulest and wonderfulest lists I've ever been
on. I agree with you! NTLK is unique in the annals of the
internet/Usenet. :-)

I just want to say that Alan wasn't alone. At last count, I've had
seven, maybe eight other offers offlist, besides Alan's! I'm amazed by
the generosity of the list! You guys make me proud to be a part, and
this is one of the many reasons I doubt I will leave NTLK, except when
I need a break from stuffed email boxes (like when we move this month)!
I have already received so much from this list that I could never
repay. For instance, inside my Newton that was lost was a SER-001 that
Paul Zenk both gave me and installed while visiting us in Krakow! It is
things like this that make me stop and think when thinking about
getting another Newton.

However, I must say that, when I posted my post, the last thing I
wanted was for others to offer me their Newtons. I just felt a need to
unload emotionally, and wasn't thinking about _how_ people would
respond! And, as much as part of me would love to take somebody up on
their offer, the truth is, I could not, in good conscience accept any
of the free offers in good conscience. This is simply because of
something that in Pensacola, Florida we call "poor mouthing." It's kind
of hard to explain these things in words, but I would feel guilty if I
accepted one of these generous offers for a replacement, simply because
I stated my plight so bluntly and openly. I do, however, deeply
appreciate each and every offer. I'm humbled by the openness and
generosity. And in a couple cases, find it difficult to say "no,"
knowing the person who is offering. However, as I said, I could not in
good conscience accept any offer. I am stating this publicly for what
I hope are obvious reasons. :-)

As I tried to say in my first post, I have no intention of leaving this
community, and no intention to give up the two Newtons that remain in
our family. My children love their Newtons, and use them for creative
writing, as well as other things. In fact, they've absconded with my
keyboard!

In a few weeks or months, my mind will be clearer, and the loss less
sharp, and I will be able to decide with a clear head exactly what I
want to do for myself. Trust me, I'll be keeping you all posted. :-)

Thanks again for the humbling spirit of community that you all show!

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland