Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V4 #506

From: Andrew Fox (andrewfox_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 03:04:50 PDT

Hi Alex,

Hmm……think i may have stumbled on your problem……… sort of;-)

You say you are not using a hub and therefore must be patching directly
to the eMac? Please correct me if I misread this bit! If this is the
case are you using a xover ethernet cable as I don't think the eMac's
ethernet port auto syncs. I will check at work 2morrow;-)

If that is the case and you have elected to configure your Internet
setup for the 589EC as DHCP things won't work……ever.

Unless you have turned Internet Sharing on on your eMac your Newton is
NEVER going to connect to a DHCP server because there isn't one to
connect to.

Suggestion.

Configure a suitable TCP/IP setup on your eMacs ethernet port using a
Manual address such as ……

IP Address: 10.0.1.100
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Router: not really needed for this but can use 10.0.1.100 if you want!
DNS: not needed

Save this as a separate Location called Newton or whatever;-)

On your Newton configure the settings for your 3com card manually to
match the subnet and subnet mask on your eMac BUT ……

Make the Newton's static IP different …… eg. 10.0.1.50 or 10.0.1.115
etc…etc…

Newton might look like this ……

IP Address: 10.0.1.50
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Router: use 10.0.1.100 if you used this on your eMac
DNS: not needed

The above will put the two machines on the same network and once
plugged together you should be able to ping the Newton's IP using
Network Utility on the eMac.

If the ping succeeds then open Escale on the eMac and once it's
listening open the Dock on your Newt.

Contact me off list if you want/need but then again others may benefit
from what we discover…………;-)

regards

Andrew Fox, Technical Trainer
Apple Computer Division, Renaissance Ltd, Auckland, NZ