Re: [NTLK] Recent Observations - Palm OS and Newton OS

From: Mike Detlefsen (mdetlefsen_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Sep 09 2004 - 11:37:02 PDT

On Thursday, September 9, 2004, at 09:20 AM, David M. Ensteness wrote:
> If Palm was able to get it right with contacts why are calendars so
> poor?

Well, I have a Palm Tungsten E, acquired four months ago. I bought
Dateman and Supernames, both from Stand Alone Software (makers of
software for the Newton). Supernames makes the contacts on the Palm
look pretty much like Names on the Newt.

These two programs make the Palm operate much more like the Newt. I can
open the Contact list, tap on a person, select New Appointment, and a
slip opens up with the next 12:00 Noon date already entered. I can type
in Lunch with Steve, close the slip, and it is automatically entered
into the Calender with an alarm (if I want). If I go to the calendar, I
can click on the appointment, and it has a pull down menu that will
take me to the contact entry. The contact entry even lists all past and
future appointments with that person. It's pretty nice. It's as easy to
use as the Newt, once you get used to the different interface.

Graffiti II is pretty decent. Not nearly as nice as the word-based HWR
on the Newt, of course. But it is a marked improvement over the
original Graffiti. And the color screen on the Tungsten is gorgeous!! I
like the E, and use it a lot.

But you'll have to pry my 2000U out of my cold, dead hands. It's my
buddy, and has been since 1997. If it dies, there's a pristine 2100
waiting to carry one. Before that it was my MP100.

Mike