Re: [NTLK] An era draws to a close

From: Goodwin, Greg (GoodwinG_at_aafes.com)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 06:07:41 PDT

        LOL!! Listen to you. "Come to your senses". I'm at work, I
have a Newton 2000 and a Emate with me. There are days I read this list
and I hear about some are active in the Newton and I think to myself
"Wow... don't think I've been all that active lately" and then realize I
brought two 2000's to work for various reasons.

        Well, even with this going on, I could see the advantages of
other handhelds. In truth, I started to wonder if there would be a age
without PDA's where cell phones would become the PDA's. In truth, I
doubt everyone in the world would want a cell phone, and many will still
want a simple rolodex idea.
        The Clie is cute, and I nearly ran out and bought one. The
Zaurus at the moment has me REALLY impressed, mainly because a friend of
mine got a Atari 800 emulator running on it. He is currently running a
Atari 800 BBS off of his Zaurus. Now THAT is cool. I'm really
scratching my chin on this one.

        If you really asked me, what makes Newton tick these days is
that it was useful, and a martyred platform. It seems that when there
is a platform with great ability and is cut before it's time and right
when it is picking up speed, there is a feeling to carry the banner for
that platform.

        Granted for me, it is just ease & simplicity. The Newton lacks
color, is anemic for internal memory, and is not something you will slip
in your pocket and forget. But the way it retains information is nearly
rock solid, very simple, and most important, it is paid for. :)

        Could I use other handhelds? Sure! Would they be flashier,
maybe better looking, etc etc? Sure. Kinda like once you get
married... you get settled in and your wife may not look as good as the
current models out there after a few years. But you know what, neither
do some of the current models after a few years. No, the model you got
may not be the flashier, but has a charm all her own. And as I have
often found, definitely less flakey. :) Why trade what you know for a
better looking bag with new problems to get used to? :)

        Been fun babbling...

Greg Goodwin / Doctor Clu