Re: [NTLK] eMate problems

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 16:07:27 PDT

This answers a couple of posts to save space:

> I just got my 2 eMate 300's today!
> Now I just gotta take 'em apart to figure out if I need to
> modify the hinge cables....

You do not need to modify any cable unless the hinge spring
problem has already hit which, as I understand it, isn't the
case. You have to do preventive maintenance on the hinges. See

http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_disassemble.html
http://www.inventors-emporium.co.uk/pages/newton-emate-hinge.html

Do it regardless of how the hinges look right now, even if they
look like new.

> How would I check to see if they're upgraded? I don't know too much
> about the eMates but I can certainly check.

Looking whether the upgrade card is in the slot isn't exactly a safe
way to find out. I do have a Newer Technologies upgrade that has about
the same effect as a piece of cardboard: None. Not sure what's wrong
with it. The reliable way is

a) Go to Extras
b) Tap the info button
c) Tap Memory info
d) Look at the value for installed system RAM (bottom left-hand corner)

> I should be opening them up tonight... we'll see how that goes...

It's easy if you follow the instructions on the page above. Also, as of
my presentation at the WWNC there is a more detailed PowerPoint show
available here: http://www.pda-soft.de/liveEmateRepair.ppt or in html
format here: http://www.pda-soft.de/liveEmateRepair.zip.

> if I totally break it I just won't open the other one... :)

Totally breaking an eMate is almost impossible. However, there are
list members out there who can and will do the hinge repair for
you. I am one of them.

> It says:
> ROM Version 2.1 (737041)-1
> System RAM Installed 904K

Then it is not upgraded.

> Oh yeah... and I'm going to do that... batteries and screen cable are
> top priority... I played with them both a bit tonight but I'm lettin'
> em sit until I can get a Torx 08 tomorrow.

You will also need a Torx 10.

> I did receive two battery packs which are supposedly dead. However, I
> am going to put them into the 300's and see if they charge. Otherwise
> I will either re-cell them or purchase new ones (and offer my olds
> ones off to the list for free). Depends how motivated I am. :)

You will have a hard time getting new ones. But it isn't difficult to
rebuild them. See http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_battery_pack.html
I can do this for you if you don't feel up to it.

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de