Re: [NTLK] I found a GPS PCMCIA Card! But it won't work :(

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Fri Sep 10 2004 - 19:55:58 PDT

On Friday, September 10, 2004, at 09:45 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:
> Well, actually, no. When I inserted the card into my 2100, I get an
> error
> "Sorry, a problem has occured (820184)". Both slots. Crap.
> I did find the specs for this card: it's from Teletype, model #1308,
> and this
> is the spec sheet:
>
> http://www.teletype.com/pages/support/1308worldnav.html

I've not used this card, but agree that it seems like it should work
from the specs. I'm a little concerned about the "auto-config COM 1-4"
thing in the specs, that's the only thing that seems strange.

Teletype by default isn't meant to work with PC Card slots. Are you
running the patch to enable working with card slots?

I suggest trying with GPS Map Lite, it knows about card slots, and see
if you can display any communications between the software and the card
(somewhere in GPSMap Lite there's a "monitor" option that will show you
the serial port activity...)

But it doesn't seem proper that you get that error on card insertion.
Can you try the cards in a laptop to see if they are viable? Remove
all GPS software (especially Teletype) and still get the error? If so,
I'd guess the cards are dead or somehow not IDing properly as a serial
card. Teletype might have a tweek for you if you call.

Brian

-
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only
unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American
public."
-- Theodore Roosevelt, speaking on President Wilson's crackdown on
dissent after the U.S. entered W.W.I

"Americans had better watch what they say and do." Ari Fleischer, after
passage of the Patriot Act.

"Those who say there is a cult of intimidation [in the government] had
better be careful what they say." -Donald Rumsfeld.

"Just because you do not take an interest in politics
does not mean politics will not take an interest in you."
    Pericles (430 B.C.)