Re: [NTLK] WWNC & Einstein

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Sat Sep 11 2004 - 11:14:01 PDT

> This is not the Einstein developers list.

   Quite true..

> Nobody forces you to read the posts about open source licensing. But
> other people want to talk about this.

   Why? Posts about OSS licensing in general (GPL vs KRL vs BSD, etc)
and "benefits" of OSS vs closed-source (other than plain curiosity)
should go in a thread entitled '[OT] OSS Licensing' But that is not
what this thread is (or it hasn't really grown away from it yet,
although this is only "Day 3"..). It's still about the DCL and the
Einstein project in the context of this OSS debate.

> Nobody told you what you should do with your source code. Discussion

   Everyone implied it.

>> Please don't mention the bus argument again. If Nicolas and I
> Agreed, but if someone buys a new PDA only for running
> Einstein/NewtonOS she should be aware that there is a possibility that
> the Einstein emulator will expire and there will be no new version in
> the future (and she can reinstall Windows CE - shock horror!).

   I'm sure provisions have been made for extreme contingencies.. As
Paul said, the bus argument is tiring, because it can apply to
*anything* (OSS too - if Dair Grant and the other "steering members"
of the Quesa project suddenly died, the Quesa project would slow down
considerably..)

Jim