Re: [NTLK] An era draws to a close

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 06:55:49 PDT

On Sep 11, 2004, at 10:32 AM, WL wrote:

> ...and the ball just keeps on rollin'...all over Jon... ;-)

Well folks---

I think I finally have time to express myself. First of all, a hearty
thanks to Paul Zenk. Since he contacted me just about first, and due to
the fact that his Newtons and mine already were good friends (check out
the newtons around the world gallery), I decided to graciously accept
his offer. When I wrote to accept, I was under the impression that it
was a basic model with maybe a small memory card. However, in his
reply, he stated that it's complete with everything that I lost, and
then some!!! The sad truth is it would be rather selfish of me to
accept all the other wonderfully gracious offers--for the Grateful Dead
Newton from Paul Curtis, or the SER-001 from Dave Humphreys, or the
network card from Tom Zahm, or the NuShields from Mark, or... or...
or..... Well, I think y'all get the idea. :-)

There were also offers off-list that I would like to publicly
recognize. Since nobody wrote, asking to be excluded from the list, I
guess it's ok to mention everybody. I only hope that I do not miss
anybody. If I do, it is not because I left you of intentionally, it's
just that you all so overwhelmed me with your outpouring of generosity
and desire to help (or was it fear of my playing turncoat) ;-) has kind
of overwhelmed my in box!!!

So, without further ado, I want to also extend my thanks to the
following who wrote me offlist:
Frank Gruendel
Sonny Hung
Greg Goodwin
Brett Anderson
and I think I already mentioned Paul Zenk.

I know that these people did not expect me to mention their names
publicly, but I wanted thank them publicly for their willingness to
help. The offers were various, and all, like the ones mentioned also on
list, were particularly generous, from any standpoint! And I repeat, if
I missed anybody, please forgive me. It was not intentional.

I think such generosity should never be taken for granted, and I cannot
let myself. I think it is something that should be looked upon with
awe. :-) In an age when people are willing to literally explode
themselves with rage and hatred, I think it is wonderful that there are
people still willing--no, eager--to give of themselves out of a
generous heart. I mean, think about it.... who am I? Just a little, ole
Newton user.... one of 2,000 on this little corner of the web, one of
the "Just Let It Go Already" society.... a nobody. Well, it seems that,
for some of us, "letting go already" would mean letting go of a little
of their humanity, and they just aren't ready or willing to do that! I,
for one, have been greatly encouraged, not just to keep using the
Newton, but encouraged to remember that there are wonderful people in
this world, and I'm part of a group of the cream of the crop!

I return you to your previously scheduled OT discussions, open source
wars, OS wars, future of Newton discussions, etc.... but I will
remember this past week for a loooong time. :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland