Re: [NTLK] Future Newton directions

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 15:33:34 PDT

> Well... erm... [shuffles nervously] I think you're taking my original
> statement too literally.

   Sorry.

> I'm imagining my cinema display with
> a touch-sensitive layer on top; it's angled on my desk to offer a
> comfortable writing position; my Mac boots into NewtonOS and it's on
> almost immediately; I use the pen to move things around on screen -

   The pen would get heavy after a while - there's researach on that
regarding touch screens somewhere. But as an alternative to a mouse,
yes.. Better yet I think - spatial interface using your hands (anybody
watch Earth: Final Conflict here? hehe)

> screen but specifically for a B&W LCD and there would have to be UI
> changes to handle such a large screen area. Has anybody tried out any
> UI ideas for larger or smaller screen sizes than the MP's 480*320
> pixels?

   I've thought of that using a custom TScreenDriver - that is - IF the
Newton OS can be tricked into supporting larger screen dimensions. The
Palm used color basically as another kind of label - not a good use IMO
- it works, but it's not using it to it's full potential..

Jim