Re: [NTLK] Future Newton directions (very long)

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_telebyte.nl)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 23:58:35 PDT

On 13-sep-04, at 0:21, Jim Witte wrote:
> Not really, IMO. The mouse cursor's only real function is to let you
> know where the mouse is located until you click. There was a mouse
> driver (alpha, never got out) that had an onscreen sprite for the
> cursor.

I'd like to differ. In my little speech on the WWNC about interfaces I
point out not only the greatness of the interface of the Newton OS but
also emphasize the unnatural choice of the mouse as a device.
I think you're point of view is a technical one and in that aspect you
might be right. In practical terms the difference is very big indeed.

>> I don't see the two
>> coming together, personally. However, some other features of the
>> Newton
>> would be interesting on the desktop. :-)
>
> I'd like to see the Newton "drag to the side" clipboard. I asked
> about this on one of the Mac lists, and XShelf was recommended, but
> that doesn't really do it for me - I want the freeform ability to drag
> it anywhere, with no "window" for holding the clipped items.

True screen intergration on a desktop would probably work, but it would
take a real pen based OS as well designed as the Newton OS (Though
Microsoft probably will get everyone used to a substandard OS)

Robert Benschop