Re: [NTLK] A few thoughts on Einstein.

From: Scot McSweeney-Roberts (newton_at_mcsweeney-roberts.co.uk)
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 07:12:59 PDT

smoerk wrote:

>hi scot,
>
>thanks for the pointer to the netbsd port. it's not something you want
>to use on a daily basis :-). there is only support for jornada 710,
>720, 820 and ipaq 36x0, which are some years old. do you know if the
>ports support the display and the touchscreens?

Dunno, at first glance it doesn't look like there's an X server for
them, so you're stuck with just a console, but I could be wrong - I
suppose it would take a bit more research to find out. Well, either more
research or else I could just give into temptation and start looking on
ebay for an obsolete WinCE device to put NetBSD or Linux on and then
start playing.

>i guess it is a lot of work to get netbsd in usable state for recent PDAs.

Well, one thing in NetBSD's favour is that it is meant to be portable to
just about anything, but some of the more advanced hardware features
might not be available. However, making something actually usefull out
of palmtop with NetBSD is probably a fair amount of work. Again, I can't
say for certain what the state is or how much work it would actualy be -
I'm aware of NetBSD's existence on these devices but I've had no
personal use of it (yet :-) ).

Scot