Re: [NTLK] MUST have a router for communication?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 13:18:58 PDT

Fred Bauman wrote:
> I'm having a problem using my 2000U to connect to my iMac and/or cable
> internet.
> I've searched the list archives to the best of my ability and I keep
> finding that I might have to get a network router to do any
> communication.
> Can anyone verify that this is a requirement?
> What is the simplest setup to connect to a broadband connection and
> properly connect to OSX?
> I have a known working ethernet card and dongle, as well as all the
> software that I think is needed. Is there something minute that always
> gets overlooked?

It depends on what kind of broadband you're talking about.

For most types of Cable Modem connections, you shouldn't need a router to
connect with your Newton. Configure a profile in Internet Setup to use DHCP,
then just plug your Newton's network card into the cable modem and try it. If
it doesn't work, the ISP's DHCP server might be expecting some extra data in
the DHCP request, and unfortunately the Newton doesn't know how to send this
information. I know that the old @Home network used to require this, not sure
if the current incumbent cable modem operation still use this.

For DSL, you need to use a router or computer because to connect to the DSL
line, you need to use a protocol called "PPPoE" which the Newton does not support.

HTH.