[NTLK] MUST have a router for communication?

From: Fred Bauman (emailfred_at_comcast.net)
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 16:40:05 PDT

I'll reply to both of these in one swoop

> What is the simplest setup to connect to a broadband connection and
> properly connect to OSX?
> If you're happy with 802.11b I can recommend the Netgear MR 314, does
> DHCP without a sweat and routes AppleTalk over wired and wireless,
> making it a great companion to your Newt.
> Robert Benschop

Can the same thing be done with a less expensive, wired router? Seeing
as I already have a working ethernet card?

>> I've searched the list archives to the best of my ability and I keep
>> finding that I might have to get a network router to do any
>> communication.
>
> It depends on what kind of broadband you're talking about.
>
> For most types of Cable Modem connections, you shouldn't need a router
> connect with your Newton. Configure a profile in Internet Setup to
> use DHCP,
> then just plug your Newton's network card into the cable modem and try
> it. If
> it doesn't work, the ISP's DHCP server might be expecting some extra
> data in
> the DHCP request, and unfortunately the Newton doesn't know how to
> send this
> information.
> HTH.

I use Comcast cable internet. Has anyone any experience in getting on
line with them? I'd love to be able to download news feeds and
the occasional email.

Thanks again

Fred Bauman
Grand Rapids, MI USA