Re: [NTLK] Battery pack - 2300 mAh cells?

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 23:22:05 PDT

On Sep 13, 2004, at 10:28 PM, Oliver Brose wrote:

> While I admire the work that some people here do on the soldering jobs
> all around, I just wonder *why in the world* you don't just use a
> battery sled. Are those really that scarce? Or is just for the
> convenience? Personally, I tend to charge my Newt at home, so for me
> using a battery charger would be no problem if my battery went
> downhill, with the added bonus of being able to swap to bigger cells
> whenever they become available. But then again, I do own a sled...

Yes, I do not own a sled. :-)

But secondly, each time you remove your batteries, the Newton resets
itself--unless you also have it plugged in. In my book, a big hassle.
It becomes a form of juggling. While I enjoy juggling balls, fruit,
etc., the idea of juggling a Newton and eight batteries and power
supply does not entice me! Besides, with my nifty Newton stand, I can
simply slap it onto that, plug in the Newton and use it or whatnot. So,
when the time comes, I will rather do some soldering than play juggling
games.... Granted, for me, soldering is something I do on a regular
basis, and I have no problems with it. (In fact, I need, right now, to
pull the battery from my razor, and solder in a new one... I just need
to find the strange replacement...) :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland