Re: [NTLK] "Update" feature on newtons

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 07:04:44 PDT

nelson wrote:
> What did it do?
> I know it used to be used to , umm update something. I assume that you
> dialed in to somewhere, but what was there? Kind of dedicated web page?
> Haven't found much on the subject. Just curious and on very little
> sleep, but would be cool if this could be used. If it used a program
> like ncu to load packages onto the newton. we would yet another way
> around bootstrapping problem. Hmmmm

It was a service run by Apple to help people get software updates. With a
modem you could use Update to call a toll-free number and download the latest
system patch.

I wrote about it and also wrote an extenstion that unregisters it so that it
no longer appears in IOBox:

http://www.chuma.org/code/newton/killupdate/

No one ever figured out the protocol, it's probably very similar to the Dock
protocol. I suppose the Newton must send its OS and Hardware versions first.