Re: [NTLK] Speech code from IBM to become open source

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 13:49:53 PDT

> Big Blue plans to announce that it will contribute some of its
> speech-recognition software to two open-source software groups.
> The New York Times
>
> http://news.com.com/Speech+code+from+IBM+to+become+open+source/2100
> -7344_3-5363164.html?tag=sas.email

   Not that I applaud them for doing this (if it works..). But the
article said, "The move is a tactical step by IBM to accelerate the
development of speech applications .."

   To which I say, Hrrmmpph!

   They used to have the Mac SDK for ViaVoice available for free
download (for VV 1.0, which works only with MacOS not X). Then they
removed it.. No one seems to know why..

Jim