Re: [NTLK] OT: The Logic of Evil

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_telebyte.nl)
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 00:46:30 PDT

On 16-sep-04, at 8:25, Brett Hutley wrote:
>> So, do I understand you to be saying that if we, as a Newton community
>> decided that your existence was not good for our particular culture,
>> then it would perfectly moral to exterminate you? Hm. Interesting
>> ramifications...
>>
>> -Jon Glass
>
> *Sigh*
>
> Sorry, my bad. I should have known better than to attempt a serious
> discussion about this issue. Please resume normal scheduling. I'm happy
> to discuss this off-list with anyone, but I seriously doubt there is
> anything to be gained.

Actually, I thought Jon's reaction was quite funny and I'm sure he got
your point.
Moreover, it was a pretty good point. There's a bank (for the life of
me, I don't know the name) that has posters all over London's Heathrow
Airport with signs that mean completely different things in different
cultures.
Like thumbs up might mean something quite different (as in rude) in
another culture...

So yes, your point that good and evil are relative came across and it
being relative to culture as well.
Though killing is frowned upon in most places... ;-)

Robert Benschop