[NTLK] Gmail's web interface speed

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 16:32:49 PDT

On Sep 15, 2004, at 10:53 PM, Mike Grauer wrote:
> One of the first things I notice is that for a web based e-mail system
> the
> interface is fast. Unlike some of the others I have tried in the past.

   I noticed this too. Has anybody really looked to see how it does it?
  It looks like the interface makes very heavy use of JavaScript
(probably CSS too) to avoid all the table based formatting. I'm
wondering if it also makes extensive use of DHTML to change the page on
the client-side for some actions?

   Hopefully, if more people (and web-techies for other companies)
notice this, it might just push them to do something really useful -
like use DHTML and maybe even XML with client-side XSLT for their
webpages. It seems like that would make so many sites (especially
bulletin boards) SO much faster.

   And as long as spam is clogging 50% of the internet pipes with
sewage.. (I wonder sometimes if the web would be faster if all the
spam magically disappeared - say if the Internet grew an immune system
overnight.. A lot of it is 'last-mile' speed, but I wonder if the
backbone speed also comes into play, especially for the times for
things like DNS lookup of names)

Jim