Re: [NTLK] Wisconsin NUGs

From: Dale A. Raby (daleraby_at_tds.net)
Date: Mon Sep 20 2004 - 14:02:37 PDT

Hello Margaret/Gary:

OK, first who are you? Your email address doesn't appear to match the
name you signed... not really a big issue.

Now, Microsoft certainly can supply their DNS... if they don't they are
choosing not to. Since you are using a dialup modem, your DNS will
change depending upon which modem in a very large pool you get when you
dial in. You would get a range of DNS addresses, though. Still, there
should be an assigned DNS they can give you.

Probably you have those numbers on your system already... I assume you
are using Windows. Unfortunately, I don't do Windows very well, I don't
use my Newton to access the Internet, and it has been a while since I
last used a dial-up connection.

That said, I'll try: Go into your control panel and click on the
Internet Options icon. Click the Connections tab. There should be an
account listed there. You should be able to view the settings in that
account somehow. You'll have to dig around a bit, probably. Eventually,
you should be able to find a couple of DNS addresses.

Those are what you would use to set up your Newton to access the
Internet through your MSN account.

Now, for a bit of chastisement. You have kind of "hijacked" a thread
here having to do with the possible formation of a Wisconsin Newton User
Group. This is considered "bad form", but that's no biggie, everybody
has to learn some time. However, your problem is that the only people
likely to view your message are the four or five of us who are located
in Wisconsin. The rest of the Newtontalk list will likely delete the
message without reading it because they are not from Wisconsin and are
not interested in a Wisconsin Newton Users Group.

Quite possibly one of us might know how to help you... but if you had
started your own thread entitled "MSN DNS" or "Connecting with MSN", you
might have expanded your knowledge pool to include some real experts who
could help with just about anything.

If you get no useful help from this post, you might want to try
reposting, but by starting your own thread with a title different than
"Wisconsin NUG's". Most of the people on this list are quite polite...
more polite than any group of people I have ever encountered online...
and one of them somewhere, maybe in France, Germany, or here in the US
will be able to help you.

Good luck,

Dale

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 14:57, MARGARET EBBOT

they cannot give me the DNS numbers I need and the domain name