Re: [NTLK] [OT] Apple G4 500 MHz 15'' Titanium PowerBook - fair price? Is it good?

From: Roman Pixell (roman_at_pixell.net)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 14:07:43 PDT

On Sep 21, 2004, at 11:00 PM, Fearghas Macgregor wrote:

>> - What do I need to check this machine for, what's the
>> usual traps, bugs
>> and caveats of that series?
>
> Check for Keyboard marks on the screen, and check the
> screen hinges and frames, they were prone to breaking. It
> is likely that there will be some chips in the paint used,
> this is pretty much unavoidable. Mostly they shouldbe ok
> though

also, compare the screen with a brand new computer, it might be
worn/old and loosing the contrast - i know they often did. like ferghas
said, hinges are prone to breaking - make sure to check that detail
during the inspection!

other things to check is the slot-loading optical drive and the
red/green LED on the charger, which is often broken at those old
workhorses.

in all, its much less complicated to get a new newton :)

warmest regards,

/ ®

roman pixell, freelancer
karmatic experience group