Re: [NTLK] [OT] Apple G4 500 MHz 15'' Titanium PowerBook - fair price? Is it good?

From: Vaguely Radio (vradio_at_maine.rr.com)
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 18:06:01 PDT

On Sep 21, 2004, at 4:45 PM, DJ Vollkasko wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I've been offered above mentioned 2001 Apple PowerBook (MacOS 9.x, OS
> X,
> large Display, 512 MB RAM, 20 GB HD, USB 1, Firewire, only 1 PC-Card
> Slot,
> IrDa, cool looks...) under very interesting conditions (fitting my
> economic
> situation - and that of the seller) and I'm hoping for some support in
> my
> decision whether to buy or not. So here some OT-questions, perhaps you
> can
> generously lighten my tremendous ignorance:
<snip>
> - Can I upgrade to modern OS X releases w/o losing the option to boot
> into
> MacOS 9.x?

I concur with an earlier poster that OS X.3 "Panther" will actually run
faster than earlier version of OS X. I recently updated my TiBook
(though it's a 1ghz G4) with Panther and it was honestly like having a
new computer. Way, way, way faster. My girlfriend runs Panther on a
G3 Blueberry iBook if you can believe that, and it's still fine in the
performance department (apart from lack of hard drive space).

> - Can this machine run GarageBand?

Short answer, as others have said: Yes, but slowly.
Longer and more detailed answer: Yes, but optimization would be
suggested. More RAM is better. Multiple VST instruments and effects
will bog down performance a lot more than "naked" midi instruments.
Not often mentioned, but one of the key factors of GarageBand's
performance is hard drive access, so a faster hard drive will most
certainly make a huge impact - a firewire external drive at 7200 RPM
will make a very noticeable difference compared to the drive in the
laptop (4200rpm in my TiBook - possibly even slower in the one you're
considering).

So, yes, but consider adding more RAM and using a faster hard drive if
you have one available. Avoid VST instruments/effects when possible.
Use as few tracks as possible per composition. These are just vague
limitations and many of them don't pose a huge problem as you get more
familiar with the software.

> - What would I need on the PB/on the Newt to sync data?

Newtsync (haven't tested it recently) provides some sync support.
Package installations through ethernet/wi-fi work just dandy courtesy
of eScale, or if it has a serial port (does it?) or if you've got a
Keyspan usb-to-serial adapter you can use NewTen as well.

-Dan