Re: [NTLK] Newton Killer - OS X? - Longish

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 21:33:58 PDT

On Sep 22, 2004, at 9:41 PM, David Deranian wrote:

> To put it in more literal terms, for those of us that are heavy Mac
> users AND heavy Newton users, suppose you had to make a choice between
> using only a Newton and your desktop machine for the next 3 years or a
> 12" Aluminum Powerbook with Panther or Tiger and your desktop machine.
> Which combo would you choose? Would the form factor of the Newton
> versus the PowerBook be a major issue for a lot of you? I'd like hear
> if any of you have been having similar thoughts and how many of you use
> your Newton as your main computer or main portable computer?

I would choose the newton - hands down. Laptops rock, don't get me
wrong - but I NEED something smaller - with which to organize my life,
keep contact info on, and take CLASS NOTES WITH.

I can DO these things on a laptop - but I carry my newton almost
everywhere I go, and it is one HECK of a lot lighter than even the 12
inch powerbook. Not to mention smaller. It's less obtrusive in class -
and less likely to tempt me into surfing random sites during boring
lectures.

I already have a desktop machine in the scenario - it affords me all
the functionality the laptop provides, minus portability. I say
DIVERSIFY one's options - carry a newton.

But that's me. :)

> Sorry this ran so long.

No Problem.