Re: [NTLK] Newbie sound question

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 08:13:36 PDT

Alan Hughes wrote:
> Greetings Newtonites (Newteenies?)
>
> I have been lurking for a while, as a new newton purchaser - a 2100
> from J & K Sales, who were excellent by the way.
>
> My question is, if I record a note, is there anyway I can copy the
> sound file to my Mac, and convert it to another format, for archiving?

Not easily. I have heard you can use binhex for this task (at least
getting a sound to the desktop), though never tried it myself. Also
eetransfer with a plain terminal should work (again never actually tried
it) although I don't know how you would convert the format at that
point. Probably the best way would be to get a audio dongle (very hard
to find) and using audio out, play it back to your desktop and have the
desktop record it. It would be a pain, but it would work.

Hardware wise it is possible, we just need the software to make it
happen. X-port *almost* had this ablity but development was stoped as
soon as Apple lowered the axe. Oh well.

-Dan