Re: [NTLK] newton as localtalk bridge to wireless ?

From: Sushi (sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Sun Sep 26 2004 - 05:39:53 PDT

>On Sep 26, 2004, at 1:00 PM, Hubertus Müller wrote
>
>i want to make use of my apple laserwriter 630 with a serial
>(localtalk / appletalk) connection. my powerbook has only
>ethernet and wlan, so the newton would be a nice and small
>solution to connect my laserwriter. i have a lucent gold
>wlan card for the newton, the mac is on os x. is there a
>solution to do this? it would be so great.

AFAIK, you cannot use the Newton as a print server/bridge.

In my case, I have a Laserwriter 360. I have it connected to an old G3
Mac desktop running System 9.2. I have the Laserwriter Bridge software
installed. The Mac is connected to the network via Ethernet cable to
the hub.

I am trying to free up some space, so I ordered a D-Link DP-301P+ print
server. It should arrive this week.

Here is the Macwarehouse URL:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=642734

I purchased the LAN version. They also have a wireless version. I am
looking to test it out next weekend. I can let you know how it works
if you are interested.

Sushi