Re: [NTLK] [OT] FS SER-001 & EM300 - Newt theft

From: Jeff Henry (j3ff_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sun Sep 26 2004 - 12:29:18 PDT

> Do people steal these things?

When someone for example breaks into your car or steals your backpack they
are going for a fast easy take. Not to long ago in my backyard around 30 ft
from where I was sitting someone broke into my car. Had I not had my
headphones on listening to loud music I might have know what was going on.
They smashed my window opened the door. It was when they opened the door
that my factory alarm went off. So here this theif is faced with a dilema.
In the back seat is 2 black bags, a citrix terminal and a wireless access
point. Which more than likely they did not know what anything was. The alarm
is going off and I am not leaving empty handed. So he grabs the easiest
things he can the 2 black bags. They have straps on them and he can throw
them over the shoulder and run like mad. At least that is how I picture it.
Well truthfully I would have rather him take the citrix term and/or the WAP
as I dont use them. However he choose the 2 black bags. One of the black
bags was a newton case however I did not have a newton in it. I had some ham
radio gear such as a spare power supply, antennas, mics. I loved that bag it
fit a newton well but I also liked it for my ham gear.
In the other bag was tons of my tools including a cable tester. Cable
testers are not cheap.
Anyway the point of this little story is that someone stealing something
alot of times do not know what it is they are taking. Most of the times it
is simply them taking something that is convienent to take. When I was going
to school they made you leave your backpacks at the door. I almost always
had a laptop in it. In my backpack I also carry a set of handcuffs mostly to
lock it to things also from when I worked in a bad part of town but that is
another story. When I told the guy watching the door I would not leave it
and he would say leave it or do not go in I would take out my handcuffs and
cuff my bag to his chair. Then I would say if they take my laptop they take
your chair...
Jeff