[NTLK] Pkg install via OS X webserver - default listing?

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 21:02:52 PDT

(My question follows from a February, 2004 thread which I found in the
archive. I can't figure out how to properly quote and reply to
archived messages, so please excluse the manually simulated quoting
below. The message ID from the archive is:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?i=%3C434BC769-6649-11D8-A1D4
-000A958A3014%20()%20bbprojects%20!%20net%3E
but I don't know if I'm doing that right, either. Anyway, here's the
gist of the thread:)

On 23 Feb 2004, at 21:50, Eckhart Köppen wrote:

> Just create a folder under /Libary/WebServer/Documents, make sure that
> it can be read by www and drop whatever you want to install in that
> folder. No need for a web page, Apache will generate a default
listing.
> The URL for the folder is http://>/<folder name>/.

Then, "the list member formerly known as: mark <mark_at_imap-partners.net>
wrote in reply:

> This is more or less what I am doing. An alternative default location
> for such a folder exists at:
>
> ~/Sites
>
> I created the folder:
>
> ~/Sites/Packages

Eckhart's method worked for me, but when I use the other location
suggested by Mark (i.e., ~Sites/), no default file listing appears.
Instead, I get a "forbidden" message when I try to browse to any folder
that does not contain a file called index.html.

So my question is: can I get Apache to do that default listing trick
somewhere in my Home folder rather than in /Library/WebServer/? The
reason I want to do this is to keep my backup strategy simple - the
more I can keep stuff in my home folder, the less I have to remember to
back up files that are scattered elsewhere.

I found something in the Apache FAQ that seems to relate to this, but
it's completely beyond my understanding. Can anyone explain how this
can be done by someone with zero knowledge of Unix?

TIA,
Michael