Re: [NTLK] [DEV] Soup or No Soup? - that is the question!

From: Gavin McKenzie (gavin.mckenzie_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 18:08:54 PDT

Well,

There are prefs, but technically even prefs are just soup-based
storage in the System soup. I don't know if there is any performance
difference (improvement) involved in interacting with the System soup
vs. another soup. I do know that when I started working on modifying
PMS that I was absolutely amazed at the amount of data that PMS stores
in its prefs instead of a separate soup (all the information related
to the projects and billing information -- much more than I would have
imagined using prefs for).

I'm no development expert, but I did read the section "Alternatives to
Soup-Based Storage" in the Programmer's Guide starting on page 11-18.
It basically says:
- dynamic data -> soups (presumably that includes app prefs in the System soup)
- static data -> you have options like compiling the static data into
your app, storing it in another package, or using something called a
"Store Part" which sounds like a soup that is embedded in your
package.

Chapter 12 "Special-Purpose Objects for Data Storage and Retrieval" of
the Guide goes into more gory detail, and despite owning my paper copy
of the Guide for two years (and paid wayy too much for it given the
non-existent availability) I have yet to really read Chapter 12 more
than once. :-)

Gavin.