Re: [NTLK] Pkg install via OS X webserver - default listing?

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 08:17:47 PDT

Quoting Laurent Daudelin <Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com>:

> On 29/09/04 09:47, "Victor Rehorst" <victor_at_newtontalk.net> wrote:

> > You need to restart Apache in order to get it to reload its configuration...
> > have you rebooted the machine or restarted the web server through whatever
> > facility OS X uses for that? (I am not an OS X user)
>
> Open System Preferences. Go to the Sharing preference pane. Select Personal
> Web Sharing. Click the Stop button, then click the same button who changed
> its label to Start.

Yup, I thought that might be it, so I stopped and started Apache in Terminal with a
command I found in the NTLK archives (funny that I was so into trying to figure out all
this unix-y stuff that I completely forgot about the GUI way to do this). When that
didn't work, I rebooted the machine twice. Still no dice. On one of the reboots, the
startup screen paused for a second just before launching Finder and said "waiting for
Apache", which I've never noticed before -- wonder if that could be a clue? But then
Apache seemed to behave normally after that.

I realize this may all be considered somewhat OT (except that the reason I want to do
this is so I can load Newton packages natively in OS X via ethernet), so I wonder if
anyone can point me to a good resource for people like me who want to be able to do some
basic unix-y things like this occasionally (with enough understanding to be able to avoid
nuking my system), but have no prior knowledge? Kind of like taking a First Aid course
as opposed to going through medical school :) I've looked but haven't found anything
aimed at that kind of user.

Michael