Re: [NTLK] Looking for ATA/Compact Flash advice.

From: okto (oktology_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 04 2005 - 13:14:16 PDT

The issue with the transfer speeds is not size, but how fast the
controller in each card can spit data back and forth. All cards are
not created equal: I have an oooold (1996) SimpleTech 16MB CF, a
newer Lexar 16MB 4x speed USB enabled ultra super duper CF, and a new
SanDisk 64MB plain vanilla CF.
The ancient SimpleTech card is the fastest of the bunch. No reason
for it to be, but it is. And ironically, the Lexar "high speed" card
is the slowest: 200kBps read, __64kBps__ write. That's like floppy
drive speed, and it's COMPLETELY ridiculous. For reference, the
SimpleTech card can handle about 600kBps both ways.
Use the read/write tests available in the Card slip and figure out
which of your cards is the fastest, and use that one.