Re: [NTLK] Reverse-engineering Newton applications

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 11:37:46 PDT

Hemant Kamat wrote:
> Hi Newtonians, Many thanks to all (Johannes Wolf particularly) who helped me
> out with NewtSMS. I was just wondering: there's a lot of Newton abandonware
> out there which could be developed further, but for want of the source. Is
> there any way to reverse-engineer a .pkg? I know that code (read
> Newtonscript) can be viewed using ViewFrame, but how does one go about
> modifying it? Anyone interested in compiling small tutorial?

Hi Hemant,

In essence, to redefine or modify a NewtonScript function, you redefine the
parent frame using its _proto, and tacking on your new or replacement function.

The RotateBook page has source code that shows how this is done to patch the
Newton's internal book reader. Applies to any other app though, built-in or
third-party.

http://www.chuma.org/code/newton/rotatebook/