Re: [NTLK] connection help

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Tue Aug 09 2005 - 13:48:32 PDT

> what you need FIRST is to get some drivers for
> Ethernet/wireless onto your Newt.
> To avoid the dongle there are in principle two possibilities:
> 1) you find another Newt guy close to your place and he
> can beam the packages via IR to your Newt
> 2) there is the possibility to install the needed drivers
> from a memory card - so the so called card loaner program was
> initiated to help people out
> All you need to do is to find out who is the guy closest to
> you who can lend you a memory card with the drivers you need on it.

Be aware that parts of the Apple Internet / Ethernet software will
insist to be installed in the internal memory. It will refuse to
be installed on a card. The only way to get it on a card is backing
your Newton up to a card and restoring the backup on the other Newton.
So while it is correct that the card loaner project will allow you
to get these packages onto your Newton, it is a trifle more complicated
than simply moving them from the card to your Newton's internal memory.

If someone has figured out a reproducible way to make the Apple
software install on a card, I'd be very interested.

Frank