Re: [NTLK] campground SSID

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Thu Aug 11 2005 - 17:08:39 PDT

>> That one I really like - hmm - but was the SSID and password
>> published at the camp ground front desk?

No, it wasn't.

>> Or did you use a schlepptop to scan the air???

No. I usually try to avoid lugging laptops across the Atlantic if
I can easily make do with a Newton.

Fact is that they obviously clicked "Install" when they got their
router and never changed anything. My card was configured to use
no WEP and had "default" as the SSID, which is the setting for almost
every router out there after the standard installation is finished.
Internet setup was configured to use DHCP, which also is the standard
with most router software.
I never even saw this router. But I hope this was all perfectly
legal, since routers configured that sloppily can only be meant as
a free service for the campground guests :-)

I haven't tried this yet, but I'd bet that in large cities you'll
come across routers configured exactly like this about every other
minute...

Even the best ex-fiancee of all, normally not that easy to
impress, was impressed when I took care of my email while sitting
at the pool the next day :-)

Frank