Re: [NTLK] (-1) error with NCU and Windows

From: hellsop_at_ninehells.com
Date: Thu Aug 11 2005 - 18:26:35 PDT

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 01:03:18PM +1200, bill bennett wrote:
> I finally managed to get it working with CPU killer
> set at 73% -- it's very sensitive, 72% is not enough
> of a reduction, more than 80% and the connection times
> out. This is very curious, I'd expect far more leeway
> than that.

There's no guarantee that the scale is precisely linear. The other main
tool for doing this (slowdown.exe) requires multiple instances of itself
running to throttle a 1GHz machine far enough down. I end up needing two
full on and a third at about 2/3 of the way up to work -- three full is
too much and two and a half isn't enough. So this tool, which works
differenly, isn't really surprisingly picky.

--
If any foreign minister begins to defend to the death a "peace conference,"
you can be sure his government has already placed its orders for new