Re: [NTLK] Where are the Intelligent PDAs?

From: Brian G. (briansnewton_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 16 2005 - 03:54:41 PDT

 Wow, my submission to PalmAddict is being discussed here! I'm honored
:-). I would think a number of PDA enthusiasts share my frustration
with the current lack of innovation and "intelligence" of current
offerings, and the Newton Intelligence Architecture is a very good
benchmark.

Grant reminded me of another capability that I feel is long overdue
for PDAs in addition to text to speech synthesis, which would be great
for reading my emails to me during my commute, - Voice commands.

If your typical cell phone can voice dial, why can't we have simple
voice commands for common tasks?

"Get Email"
"Today" (show today's appointments, to dos, weather, etc)
"Show, Bob Smith" (show Bob Smith's contact info as well as his photo
if you have one)
"History, Bob Smith" (show all past meetings, calls, journal entries
with Bob Smith)
"Directions, Bob Smith, Office" (create on the fly directions in a GPS
navigation application to Bob Smith's office from your current
location)
=20
Am I missing something, or should this be relatively trivial by now?
Combine voice commands with text-to-speech and speech synthesis, and
your PDA would be a lot more useful in situations like commuting. You
wouldn't have to take your eyes off of the road.

Brian

=20
On 8/16/05, Andrew Beals <bandy_at_beals.org> wrote:
>=20
> On 2005-a=3DC5=3DADg-15, at 11:24, Grant Hutchinson wrote:
>=20
> > On Aug 15, 2005, at 12:02 PM, Matthew Hudson wrote:
> >

> >> http://www.palmaddict.typepad.com/palmaddicts/
> >>
> >> Scroll down the page. Interesting read.
> >>

> > Direct link:
> >
> > http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmaddicts/2005/08/where_are_the_i.html
>=20
> Oh goodness. I thought Matthew meant this article:
>=20
> http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=3D3D2631
>=20
> Which links to this pdf:
>=20
> http://userinnovation.mit.edu/papers/MunizSchauNewton.pdf
>=20
> --
>=20
> Practice safe eating; always use condiments.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> --
> This is the NewtonTalk list - http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquirie=
> WikiWikiNewt for all kinds of articles: http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinew=
t/
>=20
>=20

--=20
Tapwave Zodiac 2 & Newton MessagePad 2100 Owner
Visit www.tapland.com, the first Zodiac community.