Re: [NTLK] replacement backlight power

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 00:48:15 PDT

Hi,

I am in the position to have both, an original (still in quiet good
condition)BL and a replacement from the european BL-project (source of the
foil is BL4U in CH).

1) photographs are not the right tool to compare the intensity of the
different BL as soon as they have a different emission spectrum as it is the
case between the original ones and most of the replacement foils I know of.
Especially if the new BL has a different color. The CCD of the camera has a
different sensitivity over the light spectrum and thus displays with the
same light intensity but different emission spectrum will appear with a
different intensity. But in principle the very same is true for the human
eye...

2) the visual impression is also different for various colors, the foil from
BL4U comes close to the color of the original green BL, but is still
different. Even if the subjective impression is that the replacement BL is
slightly less intense than the original one, it is supposed to last much
longer as opposed to the original one.

I do not see a possibility to feed the BL from a separate power supply,
since the BL is supplied with an ac of around 60-70 V at around 800 - 1000
Hz (this is the humming sound you can hear) that is generated on the logic
board. You would need to cut the connections from that generator (dc/ac
converter) to the internal voltage of the Newt and reconnect it to an
external source...

Cheers
Johannes