Re: [NTLK] Definitive List of Newton 2100 Unique Capabilities

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 15:34:00 PDT

On Aug 19, 2005, at 5:07 PM, Marcus Hammerschmitt wrote:

> Well, that be might just a perfect example for what
> Muniz and Schau call "anhtropomorphization" of the
> Newt by its owners.
>
> http://userinnovation.mit.edu/papers/MunizSchauNewton.pdf
>
> "Awareness" - now give me a break. I know by know

You might be interested to know that Muniz has drunk the=20
cool-aid--joined the rats in the cage, or whatever. He is a Newton=20
owner now, and may still be on the list. However, I think that even he=20=

would say that you are taking this point a bit too far....

"awareness" is probably simply the best way to quickly describe what is=20=

happening in the soup structure on the Newton. What it means in this=20
context is that each application can made to be able to have access to=20=

the soups of other applications. Aware in a cognitive sense? no, but=20
aware in the sense that the programer made it possible for his (for=20
example) envelope printing program to use the Names soup? then yes. But=20=

more-so, when you are using the applications, and they "share" the same=20=

information, you get that sense of awareness, and this is where the use=20=

of these words comes into play. Don't read one article and take it too=20=

far, or be overly sensitive to one article. :-)
--=20
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"If your pictures aren=92t good enough, you=92re not close enough." - =20=

Photojournalist Robert Capa