Re: [NTLK] OT who invented the GUI

From: Michael C. Wittmann (mwittmann_at_maine.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 03:49:31 PDT

I've been avoiding replying on this thread, but here goes:

> back to the original point: Xerox INVENTED the GUI, they made one
> WORK,
> FIRST, period. THAT was MY whole point. mouse buttons, api's are
> implementation details. GUI is a CONCEPT.

Yes, I agree that the concept was deep and meaningful, but Xerox
didn't invent it. The mouse was already old when they got to it. I
worked with a guy who worked on mice and windowing systems in the
late 60s.

Ideas develop organically. The place to go when thinking about video
presentations, mice, internet connections, and so on, is the Doug
Engelbart demonstration of 1968. <http://sloan.stanford.edu/MouseSite/
1968Demo.html> If you want to claim that today's Powerpoint was no
more than the extension of ideas invented for that presentation, go
ahead. I work in intellectual fields where minor incremental changes
are the norm, and everyone gets credit (and perhaps even a PhD) along
the way.

Off to lurker land again,
Michael