Re: [NTLK] Newton media sighting (thanks Fark)

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Mon Aug 22 2005 - 07:37:05 PDT

On Aug 21, 2005, at 10:50 AM, Albert Muniz wrote:

> The Newton made C-Net's list of "Top Ten Tech We Miss," though it is a=20=

> bit =3D
> of a backhanded compliment.

I guess the only things that disappoints me about these sorts of things=20=

is that they seem to view it in light of today's tech, not the tech=20
current at the time that it was created. At the time, everybody was=20
shocked at how small my 120 was, and how great its intelligence was,=20
and how well it interpreted my handwriting--most other people, playing=20=

with it, didn't do as well as I did, but the difference showed them=20
just how "smart" the Newton was at learning their hwr. However, the=20
cost (at the time, it seems) was a hurdle for people. They loved it=20
until they discovered that it cost $700. ;-) However, IMO, in=20
comparison to a laptop at the time, costing a couple grand, it was a=20
_major_ bargain! and it could do everything I needed a laptop for ....=20=

writing letters, doing email, faxing, and keeping track of my schedule=20=

and contacts. It was a dream come true! It would be my only computer=20
for months at a time. Life moves on, however, and I no longer need it=20
for those things. It's my notebook, and backup address database, and=20
alarm for _very_ important meetings and events, as well as my daily=20
alarm and a diversion for those times at waiting rooms and such, when=20
you can't do anything else. :-)
--=20
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"If your pictures aren=92t good enough, you=92re not close enough." - =20=

Photojournalist Robert Capa