Re: [NTLK] Possible Newton virus?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 23 2005 - 15:22:26 PDT

OK, with regards to the spaces...
I usually am not so sloppy in my coding...I just now
added a trim function on the database call for the
file name.
I didn't see it because Windows and DOS automatically
truncate values identified as extensions (I set the
extension as a seperate value in the database and use
the cfheader command to set the mime based off of the
extension)
For the technical people out there, I assemble the
package name from two data fields;
pkgname = db.filename + "." + db.extension
then I use the cfcontent tag to force the mime type:
cfheader name="Content-type"
value="application/x-newton-compatible-pkg"

Using the cfcase command, I can then setup file
downloads mime types based off of the extension.
(there was no real reason to do it this way, I was
just learning Cold Fusion and wanted the most flexible
method....eventually, the files will reside as
binaries in my database and this would be
necessary...I'm already doing this with the readme
files!)

So, needless to say, I think I fixed this, so since
Macs don't truncate extensions, can someone download a
package again and see if the filename is too long (the
database field length is 40 characters)
Ed
web/gadget guru
Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton:
http://newton.tek-ed.com

--- DJ Vollkasko <DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net> wrote:
<snip>
> > I have *NO* idea what I did in creating Deception
> > Point that would cause this kind of behaviour.
>
> Perhaps this: After the required suffix .pkg, there
> are a lot of blank
> spaces in the file name (as in "booktitle.pkg
> ").
>
> Observation 3: With the blanks, OSX didn't show the
> proper package-type
> icon, no joy any which way. When I'd removed them,
> OSX and Win98
> recognized the files both as packages, and I
> immediately had great
> delight installing (OSX/BT *and* WIN98/NBU) the
> titles I had probs
> with. Not "Deception", though.

<snip>

"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial