Re: [NTLK] [OT] [WAS "Re: Circles on 2100 using "shapes" mode"]

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 12:43:06 PDT

Well this makes sense in that "widdershins"
definition is not so much "anti" or "counter"
anything. But given Crowley's proclivities, I would
venture to say that his usage of the word was probably
more along the lines of "contrary" which has a far
different connotation than the other definitions. Even
though the word etomology shows that the actual
translation is "to go against"
Which is interesting considering that the word's main
usage is with groups that are rather "widdershins" to
popular culture and religions!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- "Michael J. Hußmann" <michael_at_michael-hussmann.de>
wrote:

<snip>
> > opposite to clockwise would be "wrong" because it
> would produce faulty
> > information, but in the context of drawing a
> circle, I can't see that =
> either
> > direction is right or wrong.
>
> "Anticlockwise" seems to be the usual meaning of
> widdershins (see
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widdershins>), though
> not the only one. I
> first came across this word (together with "deosil"
> for "clockwise")
> when I read Aleister Crowley's "Magick in Theory and
> Practice", were he
> used it to to describe the proper way to perform
> some magic rituals.
>

> Michael J. Hu=DFmann
>
> E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de
> WWW (personal): http://michael-hussmann.de
> WWW (professional): http://digicam-experts.de

"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs